Birthday Gift

                It was 10th of July, my birthday. however, for me it was just another day. i wouldn't even have realised that it was my birthday had the calendar not reminded me of the date. It was just another normal day. The routine hustle bustle of arranging things for Vaibhav, sending Kripa to school and then getting ready for the office. Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Raina Sharma, manager in a leading MNC, married to Vaibhav and mother of an angel Kripa. That's it I guess.
               Vaibhav didn't remember my b'day but I was used to it. he would probably realize it by the end of the day and then would make it up by taking us out on dinner and buying me yet another diamond. I never held it against him. After all it's not easy for a working couple to survive in a big bad city. I couldn't concentrate on my work. It was one of those days in which sooner or later I got a panic attack.
              "Simi, is there any work for me today?"
               "Ummm... No Mam. You've no meetings lined up for today."
              "Good. I'm going home and if you have any call for me transfer it on my mobile and..." I stopped in the middle too embarrassed of what I was going to utter. This was something I never said aloud even to myself. I saw Simi looking at me. "Nothing," saying this I exited from there. I looked at my phone and saw 2 missed calls from Ma and a message wishing me happy b'day and asking me to make a trip to them soon.
I put my mobile back into my bag and went to my car. I didn't want to go home. I just wanted to be myself. Mumbai rains had already started. I started my car and left the office. I had a perfect place for such occasions when I just wanted to be myself. A secluded spot with lush green beauty on the outskirts of Mumbai was my abode at such times. I shifted my seat backwards and adjusted myself in a more comfortable position. An instrumental CD playing on my system urged me to revisit my memory lane. I closed my eyes and suddenly like a film whole episodes transformed into reality.
              It was during my marriage days. I was extremely happy and excited. After all Vaibhav was every girl's dream. A great human being, well settled and a kind person with an amazing family. I had by that time met him twice or thrice and really liked him. Our marriage was due in 5 days. Guests were swarming in. It was like a festival, noises, decorations and laughter was everywhere. I was sitting in my room with my friends and was showing my friends my wedding collection when my brother came.
            "Raina, meet my friend. He has come here specially to attend your wedding."
             I looked up and couldn't take my eyes off him. He was no greek God but he made me a captive then and there. An average looking guy with an exceptional smile was standing in front of me and looked amused when no response came. "Hi," I said meekly. "You are?"
           Before he could say a word my brother closed the door. "He's Ashfaq. You remember I told you about him.."
          "But bhai..." I was horrified. My family is very fanatic about religion. Back in school also it was checked that we had no inter- religious friends.
         "I know so be quite. Moreover nobody knows him by his real name. He's Avinash for all of them. So keep that in mind."
           I looked at him and he still appeared to be amused. I was surprised that rather than being angry how he could smile at such a thing? He turned around to go. "I'm sorry." He looked at me, smiled and went away,
         The day came to an end and everybody retired to their rooms. I couldn't sleep so I went outside and sat on a chair. I've always loved the nights. The quietness, beauty and the mystery makes it magical to me. It was mid of December and Delhi was shivering like anything. I wrapped a shawl around me when suddenly I heard some footsteps. "A would be bride shouldn't be sitting on a chilly night like this with no protection. Here this will keep you warm."
         The voice got an image and I saw Ashfaq standing in front of me with a cup of coffee. I took it from him. His hands were warm.. He smiled again and sat in front of me. "So what's the would be bride doing out here? Planning to run away?"
        I laughed, "No I just love the nights. So whenever I don't feel sleepy I come out."
        "Yeah nights have their own charm. They pressurise you to look beyond the dark and see the magic that it contains." I was amazed at his insight. I couldn't help from looking at his infectious smile. "Aren't you angry that everyone is calling you Avinash instead of Ashfaq?"
         "Well, you called me Ashfaq just now." He smiled again and continued, "No it's okay. Your brother loves me and wants me to be a part of this wedding. Your family is also amazing. It's just that they have a different opinion."
         We sat for some more time and realized that it was pretty late so bade each other goodnight. The next day the ceremonies started but I was ordered to sit inside my room. Ashfaq knocked the door and came inside with a plate full of delicacies and I gorged on the food.
       "Easy, easy or you'll get fat and won't fit into your lehanga."
       "I don't care," I replied with my mouth stuffed. "So Ashfaq any girlfriend?"
       "Nope. Haven't been able to find the magic till now."
        "What kind of magic? Where voilins start playing?:
         "I 'm not that kiddish Raina. The magic where 2 people meet and merge into one another leading to existence of a third person. You can;t differ one from another but you can see both of them in a person."
        He didn't make any sense to me. He smiled again and I felt something jumped inside me. "You talk so strange."
        Someone called him and he smiled once more and left. He made me his captive on the very first meeting but slowly and slowly I was becoming his slave. My life wasn't the same as it used to be. My friend was applying mehandi on my hands when she suddenly asked me. "Are you happy Raina?"
         "How can anyone tell whether he/she is happy or not? It differs and moreover it's a state of mind. You're happy while applying mehandi on my hands and I... I  may have different reason to be happy."
        "Raina, what's wrong? You're talking just like Avinash."
        I looked at him and vice versa. I guess he probably heard what my friend said and I remembered his sentence, 'you can't differ one from another but you can see both of them in a person.' Was this the magic Ashfaq had been talking about? I kept on thinking but couldn;t find an answer. the night came and I again went out and sat on a chair. I heard some footsteps and knew it was Ashfaq. Odd enough but I could now sense him from anywhere.
       "Remember you asked me on the first night if I was planning to run away? Well I can now if you tell me to. When you smile at me it feels like you're looking through me. One part of me feels like going with you wherever you ask me, but another part stops me as I have responsibilities to cater. If you force me to come with you I'll abide it without any struggle but I know you won't do any such thing."
        He hugged me. "How did you know I was going to say that?"
        "I can feel you inside me now." He smiled again and told me that he loves me. After that night I never saw him again. He didn't even attend my wedding. And he slipped like he never existed. I opened my eyes and my shirt was all wet. I turned on the engine and drove to home. I saw a bouquet of lilies and  orchids waiting for me. With shaking hands I flipped the card. Inside it in a beautiful handwriting was written. 'Happy b'day dear Raina.'
       "Surprise." I turned around and saw Vaibhav, Kripa and my friends singing happy b'day for me. I thanked them and Vaibhav hugged me hard. "Hey who got those flowers for you?"
        "I bought them for myself." He hugged me hard and over his shoulder I could see the bouquet and it felt like Ashfaq was looking at me and smiling. I clutched the b'day tag more tightly in my palm. Everybody was to me but I couldn't make out a thing. Ashfaq made me his captive once again and I felt like being one with him.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed it. A good read. I wanted to read more, but it finished so soon:-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. dip ive no words its beautiful story again ...."'you can't differ one from another but you can see both of them in a person.' .....i mean really ???its beautiful...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @suhani... thnk u so much dear... ur comments r d most inspiring 1s...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @simiriti... thnk u so much sweetheart... lov u totaly... dnt worry il keep u posted wd my new blogs 2...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Punishment

Closer

Demons of the Past